The 2022 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to take place in Qatar from November 21 to December 18, with Portugal playing a few days later.
On March 24, 2022, Portugal secured its place in the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The team was put into Group A for the qualifiers with Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Ireland, and Serbia. Portugal lost against Serbia but then beat Turkey 3-1 in the playoff semi-final. Less than a week later, Portugal defeated North Macedonia 2-0.
Portugal Matches: FIFA World Cup 2022
The FIFA World Cup in Qatar begins on November 21. However, Portugal only plays for the first time on November 24. Let’s take a look at the dates of the Group Stage matches:
- Nov 24 Portugal – Ghana 17:00
- Nov 28 Portugal – Uruguay 20:00
- Dec 2 Portugal – South Korea 16:00
What group is Portugal in for the World Cup?
Portugal is in Group H for the FIFA World Cup 2022, along with Ghana, Uruguay, and Korea.
Portugal National Team Players for World Cup
Santos selected on November 10 his final 26-man roster for Qatar. So, which players will be playing in the FIFA World Cup 2022?
- Diogo Costa
- José Sá
- Rui Patrício
- Diogo Dalot
- João Cancelo
- António Silva
- Ruben Dias
- Nuno Mendes
- Raphael Guerreiro
- João Palhinha
- Rúben Neves
- Bernardo Silva
- Bruno Fernandes
- João Mário
- Matheus Nunes
- William Carvalho
- André Silva
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Gonçalo Ramos
- João Félix
- Rafael Leão
- Ricardo Horta
Key Facts about the Portugal National Team
- Full name in Portuguese: Seleção Portuguesa de Futebol
- Managed: Portuguese Football Federation
- Founded: 1914
- Captain: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Coach: Fernando Santos
- Assistant coaches: Ilidio Vale, Nuno Sampaio, Fernando Meira
- Goalkeeping coach: Rui Ouriques
- Top goalscorers: Cristiano Ronaldo (117), Pauleta (88), Eusebio (64)
- Team home kit: Portugal’s traditional home kit is red and green like the Portuguese flag. Alterations have been made over the years, such as dark burgundy and light scarlet.
- Team away kit: Portugal’s away kits vary a lot. Usually, they are white with blue shorts or red and green highlights. A fully black kit has also been used.
Who is the Portuguese coach for the World Cup?
The Portuguese coach for the Portugal National Football team and upcoming World Cup is Fernando Santos. The former defender was born on October 10, 1954, in Lisbon, Portugal.
After retiring as a defender, he became a coach in 1988. Throughout his career, Santos managed Portugal’s Big Three (Benfica, Sporting, and Porto). He won five major titles with Porto and also managed Estoril.
In the early 2000s, he relocated to Greece, where he managed mostly AEK Athens and PAOK. In 2010, he coached the Greek national team for the World Cup and Euro.
In September 2014, he was chosen as the manager of Portugal after the dismissal of Paulo Bento.
In 2016, he led the team to the finals with France, where Portugal won its first Euro.
Cristiano Ronaldo is the captain of the Portuguese National Team, as well as forward for Manchester United. He was born in Funchal, Madeira, on February 5, 1985. To many, he is considered the best soccer player in the world.
Ronaldo has won five Ballon d’Or awards and four European Golden Shoes. His track record is astonishing, with 32 trophies in his career. Ronaldo holds many records, including for most appearances in a game (183) and goals (140).
The forward began his football career at Sporting CP and then signed with Manchester United at 18. In 2009, he was the most expensive football transfer at the time when he signed with Real Madrid for €94 million.